Saturday, April 3, 2010

Faith My Eyes

I have been thinking a lot about death lately. Last night, I remembered a family member who died a few years back and wondering if he was a believer or not. Wondering if he was in heaven or hell and if he was surprised at where he ended up. These are the things that keep me up at night.

I thought about heaven and hell and people who doubt the existence of God. Why was I so sure what I believed was the truth? What am I trusting in really?

I have been in a year-long study of the book of John in the Bible. A person in my study group recently traveled to India and said the women there cannot read so they have the Bible read to them. So all they know is what is read to them and this is what they build their faith on.

I wondered "If I had been born in China or India, would I be a Christian? If my parents had not raised me the way they did and I didn't have all the other positive influences I was surrounded by, what would I put my faith in?" Is my Christianity based on the country in which I was born or the parents I had? I would like to think not. Would I have wanted my life to be more difficult and would my faith be worth any more if it were?

I came to the conclusion that I should be thankful for the country I was born in and my upbringing. But I could have chosen a different, wrong path despite those things. Thankfully, God has given me faith and I have chosen the right path.

No comments:

Post a Comment