Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Senses Working Overtime

The Lovely Bones Reviewed (Spoiler alert!)

I have been anticipating the opening of this movie for about 4 months. I thought the book was brilliant and unique. I was disappointed in the movie although Saoirse Ronan and Stanley Tucci had great performances. It must have been difficult for Tucci to play such a creepy role (Mr. Harvey was much creepier on screen than on the page). I didn't care for the editing; the film had a way of drifting from where Susie was in (presumably) heaven to life where the family was dealing with her death.

Ultimately, I have decided I was unsatisfied with the ending. I have a strong sense of black and white, right and wrong, "justice" should triumph over evil. Guys like Mr. Harvey are pure evil. And in the movie, he basically got away with murders of innocent girls. When Susie's sister finally gets the evidence to prove he is the murderer, he is driving away and disposing of a big vault of evidence. I have forgotten what happens in the book, but his "ending" in the movie was accidental. Maybe the message of the movie is that in the afterlife, we don't worry about the injustices on earth. I guess I'm just too human and can't let a thing like murder go.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I always loved going to the movies with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I always remember having interesting discussions with you.

    ReplyDelete